15 Jun Six Great Reasons to Become a Sought-After Speaker and three must haves for successful speaking
For many years now I have been a sought after speaking, I’ve talked on large stages, like Wembley with hundreds of people and smaller stages, some of these were other peoples events I was invited to and some of them were my own events – either way speaking has become one of the most effective tools in my business – if not THE most effective tool and it can be for you too.
I want to help to take you to YOUR next level of speaking, even if it has just been a wish of yours – so that you can really use speaking as it should be used – even if you’ve never stood up in a room of people and spoke before or if you have been a speaker for a while, I want to teach ways to get better results, because it will make ALL the difference to you, your audience and your business…I wholeheartedly believe that being a great speaker is doable, for everyone as long as you’re willing to put in the work and know what you need to do to succeed.
If you haven’t seen me speak yet, then let me give you a quick background info so you know where I’m coming from… I’ve been coaching and mentoring women business owners, professional women and performers now for over 17 years and before that I was a marketing expert. I’ve owned two successful multi-six figure businesses and teach others how to create their own. I’ve coached well known people like Leona Lewis when she was on the X factor and I’ve been in every newspaper and magazine you can mention in the UK plus recently I was named one of the Top 20 Business Icons along with Michael Dell of Dell Computers by Exceptional People Magazine, and today I enjoy the reputation of being a dynamic and inspirational speaker, so I have been around!
Let me start by asking you why do you want to be a speaker? I know some of us love getting in front of an audience – it lights us up! Or you may already know that speaking is a great way to promote your business, makes sales directly to customers and of course build that precious list…I’ve come up with 6 reasons why you want to be a great speaker
- It is one of the highest paid professions
- The best way to enrol clients
- The best way to be seen as an expert in your field (instant credibility – you don’t need a book!)
- You get to inspire people, educate people and transform lives!
- It’s a great side business for any industry of any size
- Anyone, who wants to can do it.
Let me just talk about FEAR, you must never let that feeling of ‘I’m not good enough’ or ‘I’m not ready to move forward’ or ‘I’ll fail, I’ll be no good at it’ or whatever nonsense and lies are going on right now. You need to be aware, super aware of those too because they will, keep you small and keep you stuck where you are and that would become YOUR story, your tale of woe if you let it and we don’t want that! Let me tell you that very recently I trained someone who was SO nervous of speaking, I mean she literally could not talk and also had trouble remembering what she had to say…its was awful and painful to watch…but within our first ten minutes together, she began to stand tall, feel confident and abandoned her notes for good, speaking clearly and powerfully without them…it was magical to see because she made such a turnaround…so, if she can do it, so can you…ignore or conquer your fears…do one or the other!
Even if you don’t want to go all out as the next big star speaker
I want show you how speaking affects every area of your business life…here are my top examples…
- networking – this can be uncomfortable, awkward, and massively time consuming and often boring unless you know what to say and why – I hate wasting time and networking can be a huge waste of time unless you can become really good at your spiel! Even if it is just a one minute introduction
- Effectiveness…running a small workshop means you have to have a fantastic talk…you cannot invite people to your event and then just throw content at them all day – you need an effective talk that gets you and your audience the results you need.
- Teleseminars or webinars – you’ve probably thought about doing these or have even done some in the past, but again the same rules apply, you need a great talk with a great structure that creates great results.
- Video – it is so popular now online and highly effective as a marketing tool and yet you have to have the confidence in front of the camera and for that confidence and energy to go through the camera and touch whoever is watching you. So if you’re thinking about doing some videos soon, then you need to have the right speaking tools in place in order for you to be able to make it work.
- Radio and TV – if you have plans to be successful then it will include the media and live media to boot! You have to know what to say and how to come across in a short space of time without freezing up, getting lost in the item or worse, being totally forgettable! Some call it media training, I just call it being prepared.
- Finally, if you make short presentations you still need to impress people, you need to people to buy into you and your ideas and direction.
The 3 must-haves are for successful speaking
1. You need to know and understand and USE the fact that speaking is a multi-dimensional experience – now what do I mean by this? Well, put simply, when you’re a speaker, your audience not only HEARS you, they may SEE you too and here’s the BIG one, they will always, without question FEEL you.
They will feel your energy and they do this consciously and subconsciously…when you first start speaking it takes literally two minutes for the audience to decide whether they like you or not – not to mention that who ever you’re speaking to has an attention span of only 9 seconds…so of course it is crucial that they DO like you and that they continue liking you throughout your talk.
So you need to start strong! here’s what you must do…you must have GREAT CONTENT – now you’ve seen me mention throughout this article that you need to have a great talk – but what IS that exactly? Well CONTENT is king and as I mentioned earlier you need to make an impression, the right impression not only at the beginning, but you need to keep your audience listening at a high level.
One of the biggest mistakes I see in this area is the temptation to put everything you know down in one talk…you’re so keen to either impress or tell people what you know and help them, all you end up doing is overwhelming them with too much content…great content is finely balanced, doesn’t go over time and gives a very clear message.
This very thing is the backbone of my Speaker Training – I will help you create a dynamic and effective signature talk, helping you to put the right information in the right place so you can feel that confidence and see the results of your impact immediately! I take talks from scratch, build them and your performance of it so you are super ready to go out and beam with confidence.
Which leads me on to Must-have number 2
2. Confidence and control: Now great content will take you down this road but you also need the right mindset and confidence tools in order to go from good to great…people need to see and feel that you’re confident, that you’re in control and know what you’re doing or why would they listen to you or buy into you?
You may have confidence in your talk, but do you have confidence in yourself? As a coach and mentor this is one of my top areas because yes you may be able to fake confidence, but let’s be honest you’d rather not.
Confidence as a speaker is a transferable skill that can help all the other areas of your life too, especially your business.
Being confident is not something you can ignore or hope to get better at as you go along…confidence is something that can be created quickly and authentically and I would say this is the second most important area that I teach.
Now we are nearing the end of this article and before I reveal the last must-have for successful speaking I want you to consider committing to becoming a great speaker, you already know how it can make a massive impact on your life and in the lives of others, but also the person you can become because of what you learn…I believe in mentorship, in proper guidance and proven systems and I want you to:
- Reveal that impressive ‘signature talk’ that’s inside of you dying to come out!
- Know how to be in control of your nerves so you can switch on super confidence in the blink of an eye
- Have powerful body language that builds rapport and keeps your audience interested
- Have the right structure within your talk for maximum impact
- Additionally to know the secrets to using interactive exercises to engage your audience fully
- Have a confident and powerful offer that attracts the right clients every time
OK finally let’s cover our last must-have
3. Get Known for something! This is essential in order to stand out and be seen by your ideal audience. You need to have a very clear idea of what this is so you can position yourself carefully and authentically in the market place.
Many people get this bit wrong and never seem to make it past a certain level of speaking or income.
This is why your signature talk is so important it helps you to become recognised and valued.
People need to hear your story, your take on the world and as we wrap up this training I want to leave you for now by saying that I do hope you decide to chat with me because by doing that you are showing yourself and the Universe that you are committed to becoming the best you can be, you are willing to do what it takes and go the extra mile.
Let me tell you something I have learned in life and that is that success comes to those who are willing to do more than others, they are willing to break free of what’s holding them back and to seek a solution that can take them to the next level.
I have an amazing Speaker program coming up with Live Training in London OR Florida. I have been running this training for man,y many years and I believe it to be the best out there because I not only help you create your signature talk, content and messages so you have clarity on all that and you can make a real impact, but I also train you to perform…use your voice and your energy brilliantly to keep the audience on board AND I teach you how to sell an make offers from the stage that engages the audience and has them desiring your services.
AND I help you personally get your first (or next) speaking engagement. I work with you as a group and individually. Now to apply for this speaker training and get more information about it, the dates, and bonuses then all you have to do is:
I hope this information has been helpful to you and I look forward to speaking with you again soon!
In the meantime Be all you can be!